- I drove a $224,000 Mercedes-Maybach S650, a super-luxury sedan that was crammed with high-ended features.
- The bling is impressive and impressively expensive, but the Maybach is still a stretched S-Class.
- A stretched S-Class with a 621-horsepower V12 engine, however.
- The Maybach is rather silly, but there’s no question is delivers an ultra-premium passenger experience.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Mercedes-Maybach S650 is, alongside the Bentley Bentayga, one of the two most exasperating vehicles I’ve ever driven. The Bentayga is a massively overpriced Audi with a Bentley front end and engine, while the Maybach S650 is a massively overpriced S-Class Mercedes with a hulking V12 motor and a glorious interior.
On balance, the Bentley remains the most cynical attempt to extract money from the well-heeled and brand-conscious buyers I’ve ever experienced, while the Maybach is a tad more virtuous because it’s merely silly. The Bentagya filled me with